In SCP: Labrat, there are two different ways to play multiplayer with others
- Relay Lobbies
- Dedicated Servers
A lobby is hosted by one person, and others can join by using a unique identifier, also called a lobby code. Anyone can easily host a relay lobby using the in-game host buttons.
- No need to share IP addresses, port forward, or use hacky NAT tricks
- Easy to setup
- Great for one-time games with friends
- High latency
- Single point of failure (relay goes offline or host disconnects/leaves, the lobby is closed)
A dedicated server is hosted by community members, and is able to be online 24/7. Although anyone can host a server, there are some requirements that must be met.
- No single person has to be online for the server to be online for others
- Great for building a community
- Requires the server owner to port forward
- Not as easy to use